Plantains are native to the Caribbean and India. But you can find them in any Latin, African, Caribbean restaurant. They are various ways to cook plantains; steamed, fried,baked and roasted. My favourite method is fried and here is a quick simple recipe. Fried plantains make for a great snack, starter or side dish.
- Cooking oil
- 2 very ripe plantains or more if you desire- plantains with black skin are the best.
- Preheat oil in a medium/large frying pan over a meduim heat
- Peel the plantains and cut in half. Since the halves lengthwise into thin pieces. You can also use any shape you want as long as they are thinly cut.
- Fry the pieces until brown and tender for 2-3 minutes, turning once (this also applies if you are frying in batches). Leave the pieces to fry a little longer if your are aiming for a crispy taste.
- Drain any excess oil on a kitchen tissue.
- Enjoy warm.
Tip: You can serve the fried plantains with vanilla ice cream and dust with cinnamon for an inexpensive pudding. Especially for those with a sweet tooth.