I recently made this cake for my friend’s birthday and I have to say it was well received. I love making chocolate cake because it comes out so moist and perfectly crumbly each time.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 200g butter
- 200g self-raising flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
Ingredients for the cream:
- 300 g icing sugar (or 100g icing sugar and 100g caster sugar)
- 100 g butter
- 40 g cocoa powder
- 40 ml milk
Instructions for making the cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 190C/170C fan/Gas Mark 5.
- Butter the base and sides of two 20-cm round sandwich tins.
- In a large bowl, beat together the ingredients ( sugar, butter,eggs, self-raising flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, vanilla extract) for 1 minute.
- Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time and continue to mix until pale.
- Divide the mixture between your prepared tins.
- Bake for 20 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. The cakes should feel springy to touch. Be sure to bake both cakes on the same oven shelf.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack and let them cool completely.
While the cakes cool, you can make the cream as follows:
- Use an electric mixer and beat the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder together on a low speed until the mixture is well mixed.
- Add the milk to the mixture 1 Tbsp at a time and continue to mix on a low speed.
- Once the milk has been combined, turn the mixer to a high speed and continue to beat together for at least 5 mins until it is light and fluffy. If you want the cream fluffier, then mix for longer.
- Use the cream to sandwich the cakes together and spread some on top and on the sides.
- Your cake is done and ready to eat. Enjoy!!
Keep your decorated cake for 3 days at room temperature. I would not recommend putting it in the fridge as it will go hard.
You can make this cake egg-less for those don’t want to use them. I have tried both ways and they work well. See below for substitutes.
- 1/4 cup of plain yogurt per egg.
- 1 tablespoon vinegar+ 1 teaspoon baking powder whisked together per egg.
Check out my honey cake recipe.